Sunday 8 July 2012

One week to go - the big countdown and pack

One week to go
Buoyed with our success of surviving a weekend in Bombala and weathering the very frosty conditions, we went to set the van up the next week to start packing it properly. There isn’t much room so one has to be a bit strategic about the chossing and packing  of items. Unfortunately the weather had other ideas and the weekend was cold, raining, sleeting and otherwise undesirable to move very far outdoors at all.

We did manage to get the new mattress in. I had measured the mattress in the van before Bombala and I was hoping and praying that I got it right. The tape measure and I aren’t always that accurate. We got it custom cut at Clark Rubber in Fyshwick where the staff was extremely cheerful. Anyway, it fitted. Greg was surprised and I tried hard not to look relieved!

the cruiser with her new bull bar
Our cruiser was due to go and get her bull bar, new shocks and various other 4 wheel drive specialty items fitted and we were to pick her up on Saturday morning. We had also organized with a friend of a friend to look at a caravan they have for sale. This was 15 minutes out of Queanbeyan. The idea was to drive falcon to pick up cruiser – in Fyshwick at ARB. Leave the falcon there and travel to look at the van, come back, collect falcon, go home, commence final packing and getting house ready etc.

Well all this went out of the window when the guy at ARB said that we had to bring the car back in 500km for a tightening of bolts etc. 500km!! We were going to be away by then! Visions of things falling off the cruiser when we were in the back of beyond with no help, no mobile signal and stranded flooded us so now we had to have a 500km pleasant drive so we could take the cruiser back for a once over. That’s one heck of a drive  - unplanned and in a tight schedule already. What to do!

Greg suggested that we pop down to my parent’s place at the coast which was great except it’s a 3 ½ hour drive and then we have to come back with the snow traffic (much impatient traffic on the way home overtaking at dangerous times and tailgating etc) It would have been just lovely to see my folks before our trip. I would have loved that so much.

It’s a long way, however, and we wanted to go to bike hash house harriers the next day, as we wouldn’t be doing that for a month either. We both just didn’t feel like that much of a drive so we decided to go to Goulburn via Gundaroo as there is a dirt road the back way. If they wanted us to shake the car about to alert the mechanics to loose bolts, this would be it.

Unfortunately I had alerted my mother to the possibility of us ‘popping’ down for a night and she had started apologizing for the state of the house – which is rubbish as its immaculate on her messiest day! I promised to bring dinner with us to save worrying about what to feed everyone, but would have to scram early the next day making it the fastest visit ever. I felt so bad calling her again and telling her that we would not be down. I hate these types of decisions. One half of you says that it wants to stay and the other says it wants to go and you don’t want to disappoint people and in the end you feel guilty and bad whatever you do. She was disappointed, I felt bad. I opened a chardonnay!

The drive

After I upset my mother but before the opening of the chardonnay, we threw a  thermos and some yucky cake into a picnic basket and set off for a sizeable drive that would suffice for most of the 500km. We went the back way to Gundaroo, passed through there and went to Gunning. I have been to Gundaroo for lunch on a number of occasions and it’s the best place for a good meal. Choice of places, mostly open weekends and in winter they have open fires…mmmm cozy. Then on to Gunning which I have driven past on the Hume Highway but never been through. Quite a pleasant surprise town and would like to go back there for a proper explore.

We went the way of Crookwell and got half way there before I spied a sign off to the right saying ‘Goulburn’ so I turned down it. Well if the dirt road wasn’t enough to shake the car – which since it’s a well maintained dirt road it wasn’t, this bitumen road with the repaired potholes was. It almost like driving on a patchwork quilt of bitumen and it was so uneven that it was a blessing not to be driving the falcon right now. However it was very narrow and there was not a farmhouse to be seen. After about ¾ an hours drive we came across an immaculately kept church. Here, in the middle of nowhere, with no population a really nice church! I had to take a photo. It was chained and locked at the gate so no ‘artistic’ photography here!
the church in the middle of nowhere, beautifully kept,
 all locked up without a house in sight for miles!

The new shocks on the cruiser and maybe the added weight of the bull bar gave her better handling on the road. She purred like an oversized kitten (one big white one of considerable pedigree – with short hair as long haired white ones are too much maintenance!) making a mockery of hills, uneven terrain and laughing at potholes in the face. Where as before on similar ground, there was a bit of slop in the front end, now she was sturdy and great – and we haven’t even been on a challenging track yet. Her 4.2litre turbo giving her lots of torque and the roof racks on top whistling away with the wind. Oh it was lovely driving in the evening winter sun – with the heater on as outside was freezing.

Eventually we arrived at the back end of Goulburn and our nav man thing was trying to tell me how to get to the Post office – which was shut and I didn’t need to go there anyway. I used to have to go to Goulburn once per month as a stationery rep back in my early days of living in Canberra so kind of knew where I was. We did find the cheapest diesel for miles around at a Shell service station. It was 10 cents per liter cheaper than Canberra and I had a discount shopping docket which gave us a further 4 cents off. We thought we were very canny indeed.

Back home to Canberra, we defrosted the house, lit our combustion fire, I opened what was by now a well earned chardonnay and celebrated one of the most enjoyable drives of the cruiser (from my point) ever.

I must tell you that my husband Greg is a great guy and is a fully qualified photographer with over a gazillion years experience. He is up on every professional gadget, camera, lens, filter, technique, software, etc you name it. He is so knowledgeable and great to listen to once he gets wound up about his passion, which is photography. However, he cannot for the life of him take a photo out of a car window (down) to save himself.
I, the non professional, can, and well.

The problem is if its me driving there are no photos. If its him driving – plenty of photos.

I can’t understand why such a wonderful, talented individual finds it so difficult to wind a window down (which they are electric so saving effort and energy), aiming a simple Nikon Coolpix out in the general direction of scenery, and pushing a button, difficult. Why is that so hard? But he does find it beyond him and refuses. So for this trip there are not many photos. Actually when there are not many photos you know that its me driving -  so unless I pull over to take a shot, this might be our first stumbling point!! The blog needs photos!!

You may wonder about the cake……

I have a wonderful gadget called a ‘shuttle chef’ and its made by thermos(brand) and it works like a slow cooker without the power. Google Thermos Shuttle Chef and there is a heap of info on it. Actually please do as explaining the concept of it would take me another day of blog! In short it comes with as set of saucepans which, to do a soup, casarole, lamb shanks etc, I can do really well but you are also supposed to do cakes. I ordered the cake steamer and my first cake, whilst following the instructions in the book to the letter, was uncooked and yuk. In spite of re cooking it in a conventional oven, and trying hard to eat the cooked bits of it – it ended up in the bin.

I will have to alter the recipe cooking time and try again. I hate waste and even more – failure!


No comments:

Post a Comment