Thursday 9 August 2012

Blow Holes and other entertainment


Wednesday’s Bali Blog  8th August 2012
 We have not been doing anything that noteworthy of putting in a blog. There is only so much of me telling you that I got up, went for a run, came back hot and sweaty, did some stretches, changed into swimmers and went for a quick dip before having a shower and going to breakfast. But for a couple of days when I went to the gym instead or just gave myself a day off, that’s been it.
Not shopping again! Waiting for
our taxi to Kuta


We did go to Kuta one day to remind me why I don’t think much of it unless you need to kit your family and friends out with cheap Bin Tang Beer singlets or want 100 cheap beach dresses. The vendors are like seagulls over a chip except you are the chip and after a very short time, I was over it.

Today however I found something to tell you which I think is very funny.
Kuta - same pretty much as 15 years
ago.

This morning I went for a run. (no, that’s not it) I wasn’t going to today as I ran yesterday but I got up at Bali time 6.50 (8.50 our time which is normally a sleep in) and the gym here doesn’t open until 8am their time which is 10am our time. My choices therefore were to watch Greg sleep for 2 hours or leave the room. Hence I ended up going for another run.


Today because I got a little bored of my normal route, I went further along the path to see where it goes. I normally turn around at the first Island which is about 4 or 5 km up the beach. However today I went to the 2nd island to see what the go was there. It was not that much further maybe another kilometer.
Discovering a new beach

There is another temple – what a surprise – fancy another temple in Bali but they have a path that leads to a blow hole in the rocks by the sea.

There wasn’t much to see at the blow hole as the waves were pretty flat but I did notice a viewing platform which was very wet – obviously the waves do come up that high. It was also boarded up at the entrance to stop people entering it as parts of the railing were missing. The platform was built over the top of a bunch of seriously jaggered rocks so if one was to be swept off the platform, the consequences were to be shredded to bits by the rocks. Very unpleasant. Nobody else was there this morning so I had a little rest and went on.

The next on my sticky nose tour of Bali was the grounds of the Grand Hyatt. Its absolutely huge and they even have a pond with big white ducks gracefully gliding around. Other than that there are many beach lounges pool side and over on the beach which is the same as we are staying except I would hate to see how much a beer costs off their menu. The pool goes on forever and the grounds are manicured to perfection. I don’t think the grass dares grow out of place.

Anyway the sun was getting higher and it was becoming hot and I had to get back or Greg would be wondering where I got to and probably hanging out for breakfast so I hastened as much as my very grumpy, tired legs would take me. Massage this afternoon for sure!

Starbucks coffee buckets - not for the caffeine sensitive!
Over breakfast I had interesting conversation to have with Greg – which is a change as we have been in each other’s face for weeks now and are starting to run out of interesting chit chat as we are always together. Anyway I mentioned to him about my high morning adventure and offered to take him there. It would not be far from the Bali Collection – the group of shops and restaurants which you can catch the free bus to so we finished our breaky and left to go there via the free bus.

First up on arrival was a coffee at Starbucks.  Now in Australia a large coffee comes in a mug and a normal size coffee comes in a cup and saucer. Yesterday when we were here we asked for a small and got a mug. We assumed the staff made a mistake. However this morning we realized they didn’t make a mistake. When you order a large coffee it comes out in a size resembling a pint you might find in a pub but with a handle and mug like . Small coffees come in normal size coffee mugs. We sat there for ages trying to drink what would keep the population of a 3rd world country awake for a fortnight before I could show Greg the sights I had discovered earlier that day.
Blow hole blowing - you can see the tourist about
to get a bit wet


By now the sun was burning and bright which made the scenery spectacular and us very hot. Greg had said the forecast for the weather today was 28 degrees and a shower in the afternoon so he had worn a cotton Tshirt instead of a cooler casual shirt. It was much hotter than that but more humid than it had been on other days. He started grumbling about 5 minutes into the walk that what I was about to reveal had better be worth it.

The island had a path all the way around which was paved and the blow hole path off shoot is conveniently marked and paved also. When we got there, a welcome sea breeze was blowing and the sea had turned from its light blue of the morning to a very deep blue and the swell was starting to pick up.
I didn't quite capture it but this is the start of a big
splash and there is actually a guy under this wave
getting a free bath.


Some very game tourists had bravely climbed over the fence of the walkway and were gingerly peering into the blow hole part of the rocks. We went to the safe viewing platform which over looked the wooden platform and also offered a great view of the beaches he resorts about 180 degrees around.

No escape its so funny to watch people getting swamped
by a wave!
Whilst welcoming a sit down and a chance to cool off a bit, a nice sized swell came up. You don’t really notice it except it was larger that the other swells and next thing the sticky nose tourists illegally looking into the blow hole got completely drowned when power of the swell and for force of the waves through the small opening propelled about an Olympic swimming pool full of water upwards and all over them. Actually you could see them see the volume of water coming up through the tunnel but it was too late to run anywhere to avoid the inevitable. You could also see them looking up as the water propelled itself into the sky and then with expressions like a Looney Tunes Cartoon where the Coyote in a road runner cartoon is expecting to have something land on him – they were sitting ducks for a dumping.

Talk about laugh!

When their shrieks of surprise died down and their onlookers stopped laughing, they left the scene looking as if they had been swimming all morning. They had no longer gone when another lot of tourists came along, had a look, climbed over the fence and peered into the blow hole.
Guess what happened!

It wasn’t long before kaboosh and kersplash another large swell delivered a big dump of water, lots of shrieks and squeals. Another pile of wet tourists!
We could have enjoyed this all day! However, we had other things to gawk at so we left after just one more vulnerable bunch of unsuspecting and curious people!

What great free entertainment!
Near the Hyatt - your own private ceremony all set up

No comments:

Post a Comment